RSS

Questioning Church – CHURCH & “t”RADITION

27 Jan

The first of about eleven questions that were put to me concerning the church (or rather the way we do church) in America.

So, what do you think?

11 Comments

Posted by on January 27, 2011 in Church, Church History

Tags: , , , ,

11 responses to “Questioning Church – CHURCH & “t”RADITION

1. shade0fgray

January 27, 2011 at 1:28 am

Things that come to mind as “t”radition…

Wearing tie\suits\dresses\etc.

Music styles

Probably one of the things I consider “t”radition that may shock other Christians is door to door soulwinning. Don’t get me wrong I believe in witnessing, but I believe it should be done after the manner of the apostles, which in todays term would be likened unto “Street Preaching” and also being a witness to those we come across in every day interaction.

• danielpulliam

January 27, 2011 at 9:34 am

I never thought D2D visitation as tradition. I have always been told that when Paul, in Acts, says he went house to house warning everyone that was D2D visitation. do you think that passage has any bearing on this issue?
      I guess I can see the “visitation time” on Thursday or Saturdays could be a thing of tradition, or the thought that every true church must have a bus ministry to be traditional.
      I wholly agree about the witnessing in every day interaction. I think this is lost by many who separate their evangelism into “visitation times” on certain days.

• shade0fgray

January 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

When reffering to D2D I was mainly pictureing in my mind the “punch in, knock on a few doors, and puch out” mentality. To my personal experience as illustration, I am incredibly involed in the bus ministry as a bus captain, most of my saturday is spent calling on my bus kids, when I dont have to work that is. I get up early in the morning on sudays and am out late into the afternoon picking up a dropping off childeren and families for church. Yet I have been critisized by some for not going out during the set door to door time to knock on doors, I have not been holding to their tradition of witnessing.

I personally feel that D2D is not an effective way of evangelizing in our modern culture, but I’ll save that for another discution.

2. danielpulliam

January 27, 2011 at 9:27 am

Joey (from Facebook) had this to say “The most obvious tradition that grew out of culture and not necessarily Biblical necessity is the altar call. Do you have any opinions about the authenticity of the altar call?”

any thoughts, ShadeOfgray?

• shade0fgray

January 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Iv’e been in churches where there have been no alter calls, alter calls after the sermon, and churches where people would go to the alter at any time thought the service if they felt led. I believe the alter call is a tradition, but a good one. There is a certain concecration that happens when a desiction is made on the alter. True, desitions are between you and God, but going foward has many possitive reprocutions among fellow believers.

• danielpulliam

January 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Very good point, ShadeOfgray. I like how you point out that even thought this is a little t tradition, it doesn’t necessarily mean we MUST abandon it. (I mean any little t tradition.) I am not keen on the altar call due to where I understand it to have originated, and I don’t find that sort of thing in the NT or early church history. I also think it can lead to people depending on the action they did as sealing the deal – which is what Finney seems to have intended to use it for. But this isn’t primarily about the use of the altar call (although I may address that in another post). The main point you made, in my opinion, that is vital is that we aren’t required to abandon something just because it is “t”RADITION. This, coupled with the balancing truth that we should not require something that is “t”RADITION leads to a biblical balance.

3. susanne430

January 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

Ooooo,I enjoyed your video and these few comments! Thanks for sharing the differences between tradtion and Tradition! 🙂

4. Nick Bernhard

January 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hmm, interesting.

You know, for a long time I’ve pondered the issue of tradition. I think what is a tradition for one person is not necessarily so for another. Let’s take the Bus Ministry for example, since it’s been mentioned already. I believe that the Bus Ministry is a fantastic way to reach children when run properly…when the focus is on Christ and not candy.

So, if I were to start a church, I would begin a Bus Ministry at the earliest point that we could support it. To me, this would not be tradition, but a true desire to use a method of reaching children that can have a huge impact. But, if Joe drives by our church and sees a bus, he may feel it is simply because everyone else is doing it.

Bringing this into another issue, music is a tradition for me. But, I also know some people that area dead-set against any music published after the 1950’s. I really believe that they are sincere about their conviction on music.

This brings into question absolute truth. Perhaps I’m reading into this too much, but do we really have absolute truth if 2 sincere people believe 2 separate things about the same issue? Wouldn’t this then become relative truth? Because it would be based on factors relative to their life.

Thoughts?

• danielpulliam

January 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Nick, good question! I would have to say “no”. Just because two people passionately believe two different things doesn’t make them both true or both false. I think Romans 14 is a passage that deals with this issue of areas that aren’t biblically prescribed.
      and we should not judge anothers heart in doing something, like the bus ministry. I have heard statements where the preacher said a real church will have a bus ministry. In that instance I’m not presuming to judge his heart. To the preacher who made this statement, bus ministry had become a man-made tradition.
      Am I making sense?

5. shade0fgray

January 27, 2011 at 8:49 pm

The problem in churches is not having traditions, but when the traditions become the equavalent to doctrine is where the problem lies. There is absolute truth, in every issue, it is up to us to weight them against the Bible. For example take the music issue, when one says music after the 50’s is evil, and one says its not, one is right, one is wrong. For me to say, “I will only listen to music from before the 50’s because it’s my prefference or my tradition”, there is no err. And when it comes to grey areas of tradition and doctrine, we both need to be careful about making statements of absolution.

• danielpulliam

January 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm

ShadesOfgray, thanks for the clarification on the D2D! I see what you mean and agree with your point there.