RSS

Jesus must be a White, Middle-class, Republican… right?

30 Jul

I recently watched a youtube video by an individual who is part of the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement and has decided to condemn what they like to call “CCM” (contemporary Christian music). He claims it’s wicked by showing pictures of how similar CCM groups look to “secular” rock musicians and bands. He also picks some extremely far out examples that are not main stream contemporary Christian music. Masses in the IFB movement screamed “FOUL!” when 20/20 did their expose on it, claiming 20/20only showed the extreme crazies that do not accurately represent the movement as a whole (personally, I think 20/20 did a pretty fair job at accurately representing the movement). Somehow they seem to have no compunction of engaging in the same type of dishonesty they condemn (most would call that hypocrisy).

He claims in the clip that he is using a “good, old fashioned case of spiritual discernment” in attempting to establish that CCM is wrong and taditional music is right. Now aside from the fact that “traditional” music was once “contemporary” music, and without giving my thoughts on music (as I do that here), I just want to show how the whole “it can’t be godly because it looks like the lost world” just lacks discernment.

I will show you pictures of various men. Some of these men are conservative, some have the gospel all wrong, some are morally upstanding but just don’t believe the gospel of any sort, some are controlled by a thirst for money and/or power, some are guilty of immorality, some condemn CCM, some condemn looking like the lost world, some place an over emphasis on their appearance, one man pictured is currently in prison after being convicted of 58 federal counts, some may even have a combination of these things. How do you tell? Well, I guess it just takes a good, old fashioned case of spiritual discernment. =)

There are a few Independent Fundamental Baptist preachers/evangelist/teachers depicted above – four to be exact. It’s odd how much they resemble unbelieving men of the world, isn’t? I also think it’s funny how the IFB movement thinks Jesus (the Man who was so indistinguishable from the common Jew of his day that he had to be pointed out by a kiss on the cheek, and had no riches and no place to lay his head) must have looked like a white, middle-class, republican… i realize there is at least one democrat pictured above, but he looked like the republicans. LOL!

So i ask you, “How can it be godly when it looks so much like the world?” Or perhaps to condemn based on appearances is ungodly and lacking a good, old fashioned case of spiritual discernment.

” The LORD said to Samuel, ‘How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king over Israel?Fill your horn with oil, and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.’ And Samuel said, ‘How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me.’ And the LORD said, ‘Take a heifer with you and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’ And invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do. And you shall anoint for me him whom I declare to you.’ Samuel did what the LORD commanded and came to Bethlehem. The elders of the city came to meet him trembling and said, ‘Do you come peaceably?’ And he said, “Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. Consecrate yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice.” And he consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice. When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, “Surely the LORD’s anointed is before him.” 7But the LORD said to Samuel, ‘Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.’ ” I Samuel 16:1-7

7 Comments

Posted by on July 30, 2011 in Culture, Legalism, Patriotism

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 responses to “Jesus must be a White, Middle-class, Republican… right?

1. With a comment like that it can only be BCS

July 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Good stuff! It would be great if this could change fundamentalits mind, but then I think, “They have to have a mind to change”—and then I smile and go about my merry way. 🙂

2. clay921

July 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Very good post. I like the way you helped explain the music issue using something other than music but also explained the bigger, overall problem …well one of the problems facing the IFB movement. Thanks for writing and sharing.

3. Anthony

July 31, 2011 at 6:03 am

Good post, brother! But I have to say, Rush is still my bud (especially his brother, David).

I understand the IFB vs CCM controversy very, very well. I have fought on both sides of that battle over the years. Back in ’92 I even went toe-to-toe with the directors of a major IFB mission board while on a trip in a foreign country. Of some CCM artists they actually said, “You know, Anthony, they’re probably not even Baptist!” imagine that!

Of course, I do have some issues with some aspects and individuals within CCM, as well as Southern Gospel (I have played with both). The biggest issue is the question of who gets the praise and glory? Because of the entertainment aspect/requirements placed on all styles of modern Christian music (by their respective producers, labels, and fans), the challenge is to keep the focus on Jesus, not the artist singing about Him (that includes Gospel and Southern Gospel, too).

• danielpulliam

July 31, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I agree with you. I find that the CCM is challenged not to eclipse Jesus for the entertainment factor, but I have been in IFB churches where Jesus is eclipsed by the pride of “having high class music”. No matter what style of music, it seems to me that there is always a challenge to not let the style of art eclipse the subject of it. The flesh will feed on anything it can…. at least that’s how my flesh is. =)

4. charity haigler

July 31, 2011 at 2:27 pm

pls send to my e-mail haiglerfam@yahoo.com when you blog 🙂

5. susanne430

August 1, 2011 at 9:20 am

When I read a book a few weeks ago, a Native American guy said the missionaries would go to the reservations and tell them about Christianity and all the rules. One of which was to cut their long hair so they would look like men and not women. The Native guy said to imagine their astonishment when they went to church, saw pictures of “Jesus” and he had long hair like they had had prior to the missionaries cleaning them up for Jesus’ sake! I think we major too much on the outward stuff. God can clean people up however HE wishes. It’s not really our jobs to give them so many rules to make them look more like … us. 🙂

6. Stitch

August 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love the Derek Webb reference. That man has changed my life with his music.